I painted one portrait of the Young Prince (Young King in the longer story) to start figuring out of his physical appearance.
To get a more concrete idea of the appearance of the Young Prince.
I did not have a concrete idea of his age or any particularity.
To start somewhere and then start questioning.
Paint a quick portrait of the Young Prince to start questioning his appearance from there.
- Place visual references and painting tools on the (fig.1)
- Turn off the light and turn on the desktop lamp to create a comfortable environment. (fig.1)
- Choose energetic music to get into the high energy mood that makes me throw strong and impulsive brushstrokes. (fig.1)
- Execute the painting. While painting, episodes of the story I had already written and new images and notions start manifesting in my mind.
- Observe the painting once and again in the span of a few days to see what ideas it triggers. (fig.2)
Hard to say. The painting was not useful in itself, but as a connector to another one. It was useful as a starting point, but it did not clarify the physical appearance of the character, as I had hoped.
Lesson for the research
While painting I realized that the Young Prince was actually a child, so I made the connection with one of the three portraits of Fabrizio I had made. So this painting brought me to that other one.
Progress in the story
The decision that the Young Prince (future Young King) was a seven-year-old. Quite substantial input.
Registration of my working conditions for this experiment.